In spite of your best efforts, sometime you hire people who aren’t the right fit, don’t have the right skills or just don’t understand the culture of your company. Its important to let go of these people. It’s possible to do that in a way which protects your and the employee’s interest.
Before you let go, have to tried fixing the problems?
- What is the reason you want to let go of the person? Is this due to lack of skill? Lack of aptitude? Lack of work ethics? Can these be fixed?
- If it is lack of skill, have you tried training the person?
- If it is lack of aptitude have you tried giving a different responsibility to the person?
- Have you told the person that their work is not satisfactory and given them a plan to improve?
- It the person work affecting other people on the team? Is the person aware of this?
If these do not help, then its time to let go.
- Can you find an alternate place which can better use this person’s skill. Maybe one of your client’s or vendor’s companies can benefit from this person’s skills.
- Did your provide objective and honest review of what this person needs to do better at their next job.
- Can you provide letters of introduction, references to help this person find the next job.